The peanut, is also known as the groundnut. It is a legume crop grown mainly for its edible seeds. It is widely grown in the tropics and subtropics. It is classified as both a grain legume and an oil crop due to its high oil content. World annual production of shelled peanuts was 47 million MT in 2017, led by China with 38% of the world total. Nigeria produced 2.4 million MT in 2017, the largest in Africa.
Peanut is mainly grown in the northern part of Nigeria and can be found in commercial quantities in Kano, Kaduna, Taraba, Bauchi, Bornu, and Adamawa states.
- Peanut oil, peanut butter, peanut flour are made from peanuts.
- Peanuts can be boiled, roasted, salted and eaten as a snack.
- Peanuts are also used as ingredients in dishes across the world.
- Peanut cake is used as animal feed.
- Peanuts also have industrial usage (Paint, varnish, lubricating oil, leather dressings, furniture polish, insecticides, and nitroglycerin)